THE STATE OF THE WALKING MOVEMENT IN CANADA:
A NATIONAL SURVEY OF WALKING ORGANIZATIONS
Canada Walks, with the assistance of Ryerson University, wants to learn more about the state of the walking movement in Canada. If you are a national, provincial or local organization/group that works to promote and support walking and walkability; have walking/walkability in your mandate; and/or have staff or volunteers who work directly on walking related initiatives, we encourage you to complete the survey.
WALK Friendly Ontario
WALK Friendly Ontario is a recognition program that encourages municipalities to create and improve the conditions for a safe, convenient and enjoyable walking environment by awarding Bronze, Silver, Gold or Platinum designations.
To participate, municipalities complete a comprehensive assessment that measures progress on a range of factors including plans and policies, engineering and community design, education and encouragement, enforcement, and evaluation. An Application Guide (pdf) is available to assist communities in preparing their application.
Visit www.walkfriendly.ca for more information.
WALK Friendly Community designations have been awarded to the following municipalities:
- Silver designation: Ottawa, Hamilton and Mississauga
- Bronze designation: Richmond Hill, London, Wasaga Beach, Pelham, and Minto
Read the media release celebrating our most recent designates.
Follow us on Twitter @WALKfriendlyON.
At Canada Walks our vision is simple: A Canada where everyone can enjoyably, easily and safely walk to school, work, play, shopping and transit.
Together, we can make it happen!
Walkable communities are good places to live, work and play.
Extensive research has shown that walkability:
- improves quality of life for residents and visitors;
- increases property values and desirability for home buyers;
- enhances the economic vibrance of a community;
- improves safety for all road users especially the young and elderly; and
- improves the health of residents as a result of increased physical activity and cleaner air.
Canada Walks can help you meet your walkability goals.
We offer a full range of workshops and consulting services to help you. Find out how we can help you Adobe PDF (436 KB).